Scraping, Priming & Painting

While the contractor was working on the inside of the chapel I was climbing up and down ladders on the outside of the chapel.  All of the wood trim on the building is weathered and in need of a face lift.  I started on the back of he chapel because it was the easiest to get to.  That said, the roof pitch was pretty steep, coupled with a lot of loose paint flakes, dirt, and old bird nests, it was down right scary up there.  I finally nailed 2x4's on the roof to give me better footing.  I also rigged up some scaffolding to get to some of the higher areas on the west side.  I will not be that lucky on the front, I will have to rent a forty foot ladder to reach all of that.

Anyway, first I scraped off all the old loose paint, either nailed down the loose wood trim or replace some that had fallen off and patched up several bird holes, where starlings had gotten into the rafters to make nests.  Then I used caulk for the smaller gaps between trim layers and spray in foam for the bigger ones.  Next I painted the bare spots with primer.



There are six of these little roof returns or "bird beaks" on the chapel and  vestry.  They all needed to be re-roofed as part of the process.




Finally, I was able to add the final coat of brown paint to make it look complete again.  Sort of like cleansing it from leaperacy and making it whole again.



No comments:

Post a Comment